Sunday 17 March 2013

Tips for First Time Poetry Writers


                Before I start this post, I want to just say that I’m not a poet. Prose is my thing, but I’ve had the good fortune of taking a poetry class with a rather amazing poet recently and learnt a few things that I’d like to pass on to any first time poetry writers out there.
Don't get saddled by your childhood.
Rhymes aren't essential for your poems.

1. Jack & Jill Went Up the Hill…
                It’s tempting to write with rhymes,
And certainly that’s not a crime,
                But your work can start sounding forced
With unwilling words that seem coerced.

We grow up with nursery rhymes and certainly some of the greatest poetry in literature has rhymes, but rhymes aren’t a prerequisite for poetry. My teacher stressed that what made a good poem was the power of its metaphors, and often enough similes. Judge for yourself:
“He acted rather bad,
And that made me sad.”
As opposed to:
“He hasn’t returned.
I feel as hopeless as a broken promise.”
[please don’t knock the above lines, I wrote them for my class]
                Okay, I used an exaggeratedly bad example for rhyming lines, but it’s to illustrate that the metaphor not the rhyme makes the poem.

2. Metaphors Over Similes
“He’s as powerful as the wind as he rushes into my life.”
“He’s the wind that rushes into my life, uprooting my thoughts
                There is nothing wrong with a simile, but if you have a simile that can be converted into a metaphor, convert away. Metaphors are stronger forms of speech as suggested in the above example. Remember, however, that these suggestions are general. You might find that only a simile works in your poem and that’s fine too.

3. Sentiment vs Sentimentality
So, what’s the difference? To put it rather simply in terms of the effect, if your poem has sentiment, the reader feels it. If your poem has merely sentimentality only you feel it. My last assignment was to write an unsentimental love poem. That’s a contradiction in terms, you may think, but it’s not.

Read Shakespeare’s My Mistress’ Eyes Are Nothing Like The Sun. My teacher told us two methods to write a similar poem. The first was to pick one characteristic of your lover and describe it in extreme and beautiful detail while another was to describe the person’s flaws and yet justify your love (Shakespeare’s technique). I chose the first style and wrote in extensive detail about a man’s golden hair. I described what it looked like when he was getting a haircut, when it was freshly washed, what it looked like in the moonlight. Then, just in the last stanza I wrote, “When the world is drenched in darkness, I see sunshine in his hair.” It was considered a good unsentimental love poem because my class had no idea who I was talking about, but in that stanza they understood what he meant to me.

You can of course write, “He is the best looking person in the world. No man can look better.” But your audience won’t be convinced, their idea of the hottest person is that vegan vampire. Your job is to make them feel what you feel.
Tom Hardy serves no actual 
purpose in this post, but since 
we are talking about good lips...!

On a side note, this approach works in prose as well. Recently, I had to describe my character’s beautiful mouth and no matter how many accolades I put to it- color, shape, lushness- it wasn’t all that. Miserable, I stared at my work, then realized the missing ingredient. I put in a line about his coarse skin, his cruel eyes, his wide forehead, and his gorgeous younger brother. Then, against this backdrop I wrote that despite all his shortcomings, he could rival any man because of his mouth (Shakespeare’s style). See what I’m getting at?

4. Leave Out Descriptions
                What? No descriptions?
Yes and no. It depends on the type of description you have. Of course, you want to go on about your lover’s eyes but never list their color and shape.
“Her eyes are blue” or “her blue eyes are breathtaking.”
“She carried the ocean in her eyes.”
They both describe the same thing, but the first one belongs in a work of prose while the second one takes its place in poetry. Metaphors, metaphors, metaphors all the way!

5. Brevity Is A Virtue
A poem is visibly smaller than prose and there’s good reason for it. Poems don’t have unnecessary words in them. If your job is getting done with “she’s looking good,” don’t bother adding, “she’s looking very good.”
To achieve this, you’ll have to choose appropriate and powerful words. Consider:
“The salty spray from the ocean’s waves hit my face.”
Firstly, I know that the ocean has salty water, so omit “salty.” Secondly, can you make this more concise?
“The spindrift hit my face.”
Trust me, few but powerful words can say a lot more than a million less effective ones.

6. Don’t Do Something Just Because…
In poetry, don’t do something just because it sounds nice. If you’re using improper word order, alliteration, or a rhyme make sure it’s there for a reason. Otherwise it’ll take away the reader’s attention from the theme of the poem. Writing a poem the other day, I kept most of it free verse, then let just two lines at the end rhyme. The point was that the last two lines were related and the echoing sound made it easier to draw the connection between them while isolating them from the rest of the poem. So make sure whatever you’re doing has a better reason than “it just sounded pretty.”

7. Poetic Language
Sure, poetry does something rather special with language that we don’t achieve in our daily conversations. But this doesn’t mean that you have to use flowery language when a simple word is doing the trick.
I stuck to pretty words in my poems and went the conventional way, but a rather gifted classmate of mine managed in lines like,
“We each hoped the other would speak,
And then, whatever…”

Out of context, it sounds a bit odd, but believe me, it got a lot more praise than my poem. So use language that you’re comfortable with. Similar to the very first point, good poetry isn’t defined by the kind of language you use but how you use it to express your thoughts. If “f*** off” is getting the job done, don’t get hampered with, “You offend me, sir.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment